Toyota CVT failure experience.

Is this car a hybrid? The CVT Toyota uses in their hybrids is known to be very reliable, and not the same design as the type Nissan uses (
Dunno what they actually call it, it drives and acts like a continuously variable ratio drive.
The Toyota eCVT doesn't work like a typical CVT (as used by Nissan) and is much more reliable.

If it really has a CVT, it's a hybrid.

I don't think they all do it. There is a guy I internet-know who has a first gen Honda Insight. He drove it for a while with a bad battery pack and it worked, just didn't do the hybrid stuff. Seems kind of dumb that it would completely disable the car if the battery pack failed though.
Depends on the make and model, I suppose. I've always liked CVTs combined with cruise control for daily and distance transportation appliance driving, which is the norm for most self-drivers. Since our legs started to show our ages, we totally avoid stick shifters as inpractical. Likewise for kick start motorcycles, no longer doable.

I purchased a new Camry Hybrid in 2008, only issue I ever had was to have the battery replaced right after the hybrid warranty expired. Found a place that only does hybrid work and got the battery replaced for $2800 which wiped out my gas savings up to that point. That is the only problem I ever had even though the car is now 15 years old with 120,000 and it still has the original coach battery. My only grip is that the car becomes useless when hybrid battery goes out and there is no warnings about it reaching end of life, even though it has motor and gas in the tank that portion of the hybrid cant be used until you replace the hybrid battery. My next car will likely be another Toyota hybri, their CVT transmissions are reliable compared to Subaru. Going to a dealer for service is pretty much always the priciest option so I never go to dealer for service.
Interesting. I have borderline abused my '17 Subaru CVT pulling trailers. Still works flawlessly. 195k.

Interesting. I have borderline abused my '17 Subaru CVT pulling trailers. Still works flawlessly. 195k.
Same with the GF's Juke with 175k. I do change/flush the fluid with Nissan fluid more than the schedule suggests. It has 3 changes.

Same with the GF's Juke with 175k. I do change/flush the fluid with Nissan fluid more than the schedule suggests. It has 3 changes.
0 for me. Waiting for 200. I wish VW had something comparable sizewize to an Outback, but it's only smaller or larger. I've got 800k+ driving VW products. Subaru are a relatively new thing for me.

0 for me. Waiting for 200. I wish VW had something comparable sizewize to an Outback, but it's only smaller or larger. I've got 800k+ driving VW products. Subaru are a relatively new thing for me.
She bought a Taos last year, that thing has a ton of room for the size. I would not be surprised if it bests the Outback sqft wise in a smaller footprint. Gas mileage is awesome in the Taos. When I drive it on my 108ish mile round trip commute its averaging 42mpg.

Last edited:
She bought a Taos last year, that thing has a ton of room for the size. I would not be surprised if it bests the Outback sqft wise in a smaller footprint. Gas mileage is awesome in the Taos. When I drive it on my 108ish mile road trip commute its averaging 42mpg.
I'll have to check that out. 3-4 times a year I have to pack a bunch of crap for vendor shows. I need length.

Why did you buy a hybrid? Just curious as to what people believe about them.
At the time I needed a new car and my mpg was always awful in Denver metro. Priced a regular Camry and a hybrid, with the tax rebates at the time they ended up being the same price. Non hybrid got 22mpg city the hybrid 40mpg city. I am a tight wad and always looking for the cheaper option in the long run. I have been extremely happy with the purchase, by far the most reliable car I ever owned with 15 years and 120k with only 1 problem, and that problem was accounted for at the beginning of purchase because no matter what anyone says batteries do not last a long time and degrade whether being used or not. Another bonus is the Hybrid version had more power than the standard Camrys.

Edit..one more thing to add, the mpg is best in spring and fall, drops about 3 mpg in summer and 8 mpg in winter.

Last edited:
Is this car a hybrid? The CVT Toyota uses in their hybrids is known to be very reliable, and not the same design as the type Nissan uses (

The Toyota eCVT doesn't work like a typical CVT (as used by Nissan) and is much more reliable.

If it really has a CVT, it's a hybrid.

Excellent.

It still amazes me that some people constantly post comments about Toyota not being an innovator but a company that follows other companies leads. There is more ground breaking engineering in that CVT than entire drive trains of other vehicles. He does explain at the end that the car will get you home with a dead hybrid battery but it will eventually die as that CVT needs some juice to run. My camry couldnt go more than 15mph or so when my hybrid battery suddenly gave up the ghost.

Our 2108 Outback has a CVT.

I was disappointed after driving it for a while to learn that Subaru had somehow programmed in some "shift points".
The first "shift" point happens too early for my tastes and makes it feel doggy.
Similar to shifting from 1st to 2nd too early with a manual transmission.
The dealer explained to me that the general public wants to feel the "shifts" and that supposedly it can't be removed in the software.

Admittingly, I do drive like an old man when taking off from a stop sign because I am an old man.
If I put your foot in it, I don't notice it.

Kind of defeats the idea of a CVT.

On the bright side, Subaru extended the basic warranty on the CVT.
Not sure why.

I test drove a Nissan Rogue years ago when they came out with their CVT.
It actually was like a slingshot-wind up and GO!

Last edited:
What are you trying to get at without just saying it?
Technology, save the planet, lower cost, salesman recommend, spouse? Something else?
Just curious.

Personally I find the technology fascinating, but I’m not a stop and go driver, so I don’t think the extra complexity, weight and cost would provide benefit.

Last edited:

Apparently, if you haven't changed the Nissan CVT fluid by 30-50K miles, and at every interval of that mileage afterward- you're already screwed.

However, if you DO change it on those intervals- they seem to be pretty durable, from the reports I've seen...

It's funny- apparently, Nissan recommends 30K fluid change intervals, for "severe duty" use.

I would maintain, that stop-and-go, urban driving should likely be considered "severe duty", in this case...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom