Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Mopic5 said:
Hi Turbokea,

In the UK, a recommended brand of wood glue is Unibond, while on the Continent one may want to search out Pattex by Henkel.
Mopic5
Thanks Mopic5.
I know the brand Pattex, it's very common overhere, as does the brand Bison.
I will have a look at the different wood/white glues next time I go to a DIY store.

I'm more and more tended to try this wood glue trick out...:D

CD :)

Turbokeu said:
Helge, Thanks for the info.
The 22 to 27 Euro price that I mentionned is for the Discofilm starter set with applicator and bases.

for the Starter set 22 € would be a very nice price. What's the naked 500ml-bottle at this place?
But - i am glad i get the Bottle for 19,90 in a store near to my place... those shippingprizes eat one up...

The starter set is exactly 22.37 Euro, the naked 500ml refill is 20.11 Euro.
Shipping costs to Belgium are 11.31 Euro for the first object, costs for additionnal objects are free.

well... I decided to try "elmers school glue". Shoot me.

It was successful in raising my G AC/DC dirty deeds done dirt cheap album to a vg to vg+ album. it is self leveling and dang cheap. I found it hard to get out of the inner grooves Probably because I didn't coat the inner groves well enough. Other than that it pulled off in a complete single sheet!

I'm going to try this with my original capitol mono pressing of SGT pepper (a gw find) as a commemoration of the 40th aniversary. I'll report back.

Steve

Turbokeu said:
The starter set is exactly 22.37 Euro, the naked 500ml refill is 20.11 Euro.
Shipping costs to Belgium are 11.31 Euro for the first object, costs for additionnal objects are free.

get two startersets for this minimal expense, you will soon be glad to have 4 of the bases... :)

I habe to setup a new brew out of the films of the last week :)

well it's been two hours since i put a layer of Elmer's on two records...Ravi Shankar - "India's Master Musician" and The Who's "Who's Next". Ravi was easily the worst sounding record in my collection...got it on ebay from someone claiming VG and it was not even G sounding. doesn't appear to be scratched or worn, just filthy. Who's Next was only moderately dirty, but i wanted to see how much improvement there'd be on a very dirty record vs a mildly dirty one. i'll report back tomorrow morning.

okay I tried it and...success! I got the glue to come off in a single piece both times, although there was some annoying glue left on the outer rim of the record, a pain to peel off but harmless.

The records are very clean now, i don't hear any crackling whatsoever. Underneath all the dirt it turned out there was some actual damage to the records...the Ravi Shankar record still sounds like garbage(i suspect it spent years being tracked by a high-tracking-force conical stylus on a crappy turntable :tears:) while The Who sounds very good...minor wear and tear. Maybe would be better if I had a microline stylus.

I'm now in the midst of glueing up a whole bunch more records. Thanks for sharing this!

Well I just tried it on a funk and wagnals series Bach record that sounded utterly horrible, will post some pics tonight if I get a chance once the record is dry:thmbsp:

Well I've now tried this little trick and love it!! It has really cleaned up alot of records that I have avoided listening to in the past due to his and pop! Turned some of my records from not even G to VG+!!!
imgp2853dy6.jpg

Alene's tacky glue is what I used because we had some laying around

imgp2852az8.jpg

I folded some paper towel to raise the record of the counter

imgp2860cc0.jpg

I then used this technuque to put on the glue, 30 grams was not quite enough for this brand of glue

imgp2861jh8.jpg

notice all the "weak" spots were the glue didnt cover well or at all

imgp2862ns0.jpg

So before/over those "weak" spots I put a little bit of glue

imgp2863he7.jpg

All done spreading!

imgp2866cy6.jpg

Pulling the glue off

imgp2865ad8.jpg

I used small cups to stack the records for drying. I put them over the amp for extra heat

This thread is making me laugh my ass off. I'm not ridiculing it at all--in fact, I guarantee I'm gonna try the glue technique. It's just nice to see people interested in things like this. I would have never thought of this, but it seems logical that it would completely clean a record.

Trower,

VERY nice presentation :thmbsp: and helpful too.

Looks like that Alene's tacky might be the best stuff so far, as it seems to be very flexible and tough after drying. Looks like there is not any bits left behind at all. Is that the case for every time you've tried it?

Trower,

VERY nice presentation :thmbsp: and helpful too.

Looks like that Alene's tacky might be the best stuff so far, as it seems to be very flexible and tough after drying. Looks like there is not any bits left behind at all. Is that the case for every time you've tried it?

Thanks:) And I really like Alene's, comes off great as long as you let it dry enough and don't put it on too thin. If you do though its no big deal just do it again and it will take it all off. It's very flexible and very strong when you are taking it off, I see no reason to try another brand.

Oh and for my first post the Bach record still sounds terible, its just a bad recycled record:(

not to derail the thread but, hey Kencat...can I listen to those huge Infinitys sometime? I'm in Peterborough part of the year because I'm a Trent student. :music:

the Bryston factory is also in Peterborough, though i'm not a huge fan of the sound...

not to derail the thread but, hey Kencat...can I listen to those huge Infinitys sometime? I'm in Peterborough part of the year because I'm a Trent student. :music:

the Bryston factory is also in Peterborough, though i'm not a huge fan of the sound...

Shoot me a PM,.... anytime. They are probably very rare in these parts, and worth a listen. Bring some of your own tunes for reference. Powered by PS Audio PS IV and Adcom GFA-555 II.

RE the Brystons....sure would like to be able to try a pre/amp set someday to make up my own mind on that sound, whatever it may be :D

So I tried it and here's my take.

I tried it on 4 different albums.

2 of them visually had more than a few surface marks, and one of those sounded like it had a lot of pops and crackles.

The other two I would grade as VG-, which is just below the border for me where the pops and crackles are just a bit too much.

Before I tried this, I used my nitty gritty machine on them. After that, they ended up in the <= VG- bin. So I took the time to experiment.

The application of the glue went fine, standard elmos wood glue. Let it dry, and even the first one I did it pulled off in one piece. Except for a few edge pieces and pieces on the run out area, it was a breeze. No problems there.

But on all 4, I didnt notice a difference. The exact same pops and crackles were there. Not even less background noise that I could discern.

So I attribute this to:

The vinyl was not dirty but damaged (of course).

So to me I must conclude that I am doing a sufficient job with my RCM. I use Pure 2 and I dont play with home mixes. My RCM is manual, and I believe that it does the best job, as I agree with this:

http://www.indiespinzone.com/other/recordcare.html

(scroll down to where he talks about "Record Cleaning Machine")

I also tend to agree I can do a better job of scrubbing a record than the automated machines.

And it also makes sense to me that if you are applying a RCM properly, then there shouldn't be a need to think something else would work better.

Of course maybe I just coinicidentally picked the 4 that would not respond to the treatment. There's that too. :D

EDIT: I just realized that I guess this thread was in case you did not have a RCM??

I tried this on several old Stones and Beatles albums I lucked up on recently. All were very dirty. I didn't use paper tabs, but used an old Lab 95 turntable to spin them while applying the glue. It's not worth restoring to sell, and I have a much better table to listen to, so I don't mind using it. The idler drive seems to put out enough torque to keep spinning even when I use a straightedge to "trowel" the glue out. My biggest problem is where to put all the albums while the glue dries. Cat came to visit me in my shop and jumped up on my weight bench, landing right in the middle of a freshly glued one. *@#! cat!

I used titebond and had no problem getting one piece peels. I use a corner of a razor blade to pick up the edge of the glue in the runout area, using care to avoid runout grooves. A nick there between grooves cannot affect the record's playback. I found that peeling within 5 or 6 hours was easier than waiting a day or so. Also, Try glueing one side, and as soon as it's dry enough do the other. Peel both sides on a dust free surface and you have a completely clean record. Great trick, even if a bit tedious.

Ghog

Through the last few days I've tried this trick with Loctite (don't let the name scare you :yikes:) Wood Worx glue. It does a good job except that it is almost too thick to spread. Last night I cleaned a Jackson Browne album that was pretty noisey. It isn't perfectly clean but is much better than before the cleaning.

I don't have an RCM. Washed the record with soapy water and a carbon fiber brush first. That helped. The glue helped more.

The biggest problem was small pieces of dried glue that stuck to the record around the run-out groove. First I tried gently scraping them off. Way too tedious :boring:. Lifting them with Scotch tape worked like a champ. Anyone else try the tape trick?

The biggest problem was small pieces of dried glue that stuck to the record around the run-out groove. First I tried gently scraping them off. Way too tedious :boring:. Lifting them with Scotch tape worked like a champ. Anyone else try the tape trick?

Nice trick QPagoda! I suppose you used the "frosted" type tape - which probably lessens greatly the risk of residue that clear tape might introduce. Will give this a try next time I have some orphaned glue islands to lift.
To recap what has been found to work on residuals in the run-out groove space prior to your discovery:
1- A thin reapplication of glue over the troubled area - let it dry and lift.
2- Adding a dash more glue in the initial application when ragged edges or islands appear. Use the laminant card to work the added glue into the run-out and capture the islands.
Thanks for the tip.
Mario

Back
Top Bottom