Confidence in foreign language skills

harman/kardon

From the Fatherland
Subscriber
As I mentioned several times in this forum I never speak English, not a single phrase. I spoke some English more than thirty years ago in school but one can forget that. Recently I wrote Ilikevinyl that it would be so embarrassing to me if I had to talk to him instantly, right now, not a single word could leave my mouth. Perhaps, I wrote to him, I could order something in a McDonalds if I was in beloved US but that would be probably all I could communicate in English...

Monday evening I went to my grocery store to buy some food. I watched a stranger in business clothes, a tall well-groomed impressive person. He looked in a way helpless at the packing of an article. I asked him if I could help him and oh my goodness he was an American who was in the Black Forest for business issues of his firm which has a branch here in the Kinzig Valley.

Oh holy shit I had to speak English! From one second to another I had to switch over to English and what a surprise it worked quite fine!

Later on I was behind him at the cash point / check out / cash desk (please underline the correct term :D). The female cashier could not find out the price for the bunch of grapes he liked to buy (he had also "Tyrell English Crisps" and some bananas). Oh my that was something. There were grapes with pips and grapes without pips - that was asking too much of her. The cashier performed a perfect hillbilly attitude. We had to wait so long! The man said: "I'm so sorry!" But I told him that it is actually not embarrassing to me and that it is okay. Finally the cashier got the price of the grapes.

Now this business man put off the little bar that separated his articles from mine and payed them all together. Oh that was really great. I gave him my hand (high-five would not have been appropriate :D ) and said "Thank you Sir! That would not have been necessary!" He replied: "You're welcome!"

This little incident improved my confidence in my English speaking skills enormously. Well, there was actually NO confidence in that at all. Please do not misunderstand this post, it is no fishing for compliments, I am just chatting a bit... Thank you for reading the post to the end. ;)

Last edited:
HK your English is just fine. Better than most who speak it natively.

You don't see how much I have to grasp to my electronic dictionary that lies permanently on the left of the keybord... :D

Thank you Sir, you are very kind!

First off, your written English is very good.

That said, I can relate. I am an American living in Germany (as you already know, HK).

When I started learning German 28 years ago, it was hard to be confident enough to speak to strangers (Hemmschwelle ;) )

My spoken English isn´t all that good either. I´ve been here too long. You really can forget your native language. I basically never speak English; only when I call my parents once a month in the U.S.

My written English has improved since I am active in several forums where English is the preferred language.

"Hemmschwelle" is exactly the word that describes the situation. Tell me what is that in English?

The literal translation seems to be threshold. It´s not the same, though.

Many German words can´t be translated to a single English word. A good example would be "Fremdschämen".

What about "inhibition level", just found that.

Definitely a psycholgical issue.

Last edited:
Since my English isn´t that good I would probably just say something like "I don´t feel comfortable doing this or that or in a certain situation".

"Later on I was behind him at the cash point / check out / cash desk (please underline the correct term"

It's "Check out" around here.:thmbsp:

Always the same problem - dictionaries offer multiple choices for a precise term. Sometimes translating is frustrating. :tears:

So "Check out". Okay. :yes:

Don't fret about it my friend. I know a lot of us here are just glad to have you as a member. So express yourself in the manner you feel most comfortable.

Leave the translation & understanding to those who read your posts. I know for a fact you are one fine student in the ole "YGTLW" class. :D

Rome

Last edited:
I think it's pretty unusual to see someone who is actually more confident writing a foreign language than speaking it. Also, when one is fairly fluent in a foreign language (as you certainly are in written English, HK), they are often their own biggest critic when it comes to their language skills.

Though you may exhibit an accent when speaking, I'd say it's possible, even likely, that your English grammar is better than that of many Americans as you seemingly have taken the time and have the interest in learning the language correctly. Many people feel that as long as they're (mostly) understood, grammar is unimportant. FWIW, I disagree with that viewpoint.

I encountered some grammar (fun) threads recently in this forum, and I realised reading them that many members here pay a lot of attention to correct grammar (and spelling as well), which is a sign of culture and higher education.

That makes me on one hand uncertain, on the other hand ambitious.

I think it's pretty unusual to see someone who is actually more confident writing a foreign language than speaking it.

When you are writing in a foreign language you have time on your side. I have time to double check everything if I'm not shure. You can't do that when you speak.

Also, when one is fairly fluent in a foreign language (as you certainly are in written English, HK), they are often their own biggest critic when it comes to their language.

That's true.

I encountered some grammar (fun) threads recently in this forum, and I realised reading them that many members here pay a lot of attention to correct grammar (and spelling as well), which is a sign of culture and higher education.

That makes me on one hand uncertain, on the other hand ambitious.

Your English is excellent.

Thanks for this thread, too.

I always enjoy your (well-written) posts, as well.

Just as SandyG already said above, your English is much better than my German.

NEMOaudio you are so right. I am used to have as much time searching for words and terms as I need to post here, but this is not possible in a conversation. But just now there is something else that comes into my mind:

Body language!!! :D

Facial expression for example. :yes:

No kidding, body language is a remarkable comprehension fact in conversations even if both use the same language.

Thanks Robie. BTW BMW - I like your avatar: 02 series!

HarmanKardon,
you are a fine example of kindness, and a gentleman.
You don't need lessons in english,
you could give lessons in manners though.
Cheers, Timo.

Back
Top Bottom