DIY Array-O-Wave. Yesterday's progress - pix

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
George and I spent yesterday building a pair of Open Baffle, Line Array, EconoWaves. He got here at 11:00 and left at around 5:00. I think we made good progress. But we were both tired when we assemble the second speaker.....can you see the mistake. It will be fixed today when I finsh the wiring.

The drivers are PE 69 cent NSB close outs.

The horns are JBL 6"x6" wave guides with Selenium D210T (JBL wave guide part 364914-001)

The cross overs are stock eWave - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151281&d=1242968714

They ar 48" tall and 24" wide with the driver centers 6" from the edge and (top to bottom) centered on the baffle.

George is the tall old white guy and I am the shorter fat old white guy. Who says old white guys don't know how to have fun.

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Last edited:
Looks grand!!
Gotta admit though, that's quite a leap from those JBL Scoop bass bins with the Heils and EdgarHorns! !!!

Nice sawhorse BTW. Are those the Whirlpools or Maytags??? :lmao:

I'm guessing..

..all you gotta do is flip one over and mount the "foot" to the other end ? :scratch2:

yep, that was the mistake. It will take just a few minutes to remount the drivers, horn, and foot on the other side so they will be mirror.

I know Andy, but there is a good chance that we will not be in this house for long so down sizing it must be.

P.S., Kenmore

Last edited:
Good job so far. But as far as mirroring like Stephen J said just take the foot off one turn it upside down as reattach the foot job done.

Good job so far. But as far as mirroring like Stephen J said just take the foot off one turn it upside down as reattach the foot job done.

Yep, it is an easy fix. But, they are not centered top to bottom so I have to remount the drivers on the other side.

Are those drivers enclosed? If so open baffle means nothing here :scratch2:

No, they are open in back. In the future I might take a round over bit to the back of each hole to open them up a little more.

You get to work on top of the washer and dryer?

My wife never lets me work on top of the washer and dryer!

Some guys have all the luck ...

Cool project!

Nice work! Out of interest, what's the reason for having the array drivers offset and not central? Diffraction?

No, they are open in back. In the future I might take a round over bit to the back of each hole to open them up a little more.

I used a 45 degree chamfer last time I had an incident like that (Fostex). It worked out great.

Looking good. How's the sound?

I finshed the first one at about noon today, and hooked it up and have been playing it since as I finish the second one. I can't find the L pad for the second one and I am tired and done for the night. I am running the one with a boombox, but even with that, I think they sound very good. There is good enough bass but I have three subs in my room so that is not an issue. The midrange is absolutely fluid. The smoothist I've every heard and with just the mids acting as OB, wood instruments sound very live. The wave guide is exacting and well detailed without being fatiguing. They do start rolling off a bit to low though. I know the Selenium D220T goes higher. I have friends in the area that have those drivers so we will be doing some swapping this week.

They look kind of cool and I have some red stain I will be staining them with. My wife and I were just out in the garage listening to them and she thinks they are the best speakers Ive ever built.

More to come as I get the second one done and tweek them throughtout the week. Cheers.

Great lookin' project, Dennis! I spent some time making sawdust today myself. Nice way to spend a weekend.

Nothing beats support from the better half with such a project. Really adds to the pleasure of it all.

Nice work. Can't wait to see more images.

Back
Top Bottom