Edgar Villchur R.I.P.

A great pioneer, his invention of the acoustic suspension loudspeaker revolutionized the HiFi industry.

Thanks for the link above. I knew he was a pioneer in audio but I was unaware of his work with hearing aids.

RIP Mr. Villchur

Another admirable thing about AR was its treatment of workers -- fair pay and good benefits were a goal of both Ed Vilchur and Henry Kloss. That treatment was part of the reason they could offer such good warrantees on their speakers (AR even sent your a box and paid for shipping)-- they knew that their workers were invested in the products and the speakers were unlikely to need repair work.
I guess that approach isn't much in favor nowadays...

Mr. Villchur passed away at the age of 94 Monday.

He was a great man. Brilliant, generous, a pleasure to know. Eddie was an inspiration in my life, and no doubt, countless others. I'll try and post some pics here over the next few days.

-k

Attachments

• klk_ev_hk.jpg
    klk_ev_hk.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Rest in peace. From what I've a read, a very gifted and generous human being. My AR-3's will remain with me forever.

It should also be mentioned that after giving the audio world the AR series of loudspeakers and turntables, Edgar Villchur went on to invent multichannel wide dynamic range compression for hearing aids. Characteristically, Mr. Villchur chose to openly publish the results of his R&D and make it available to anyone who wanted to use it rather than patent it, and today it is the technology on which virtually every hearing aid in the world is based.

Back
Top Bottom