Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Got my wood today, gonna start building this in the morning.

I like the use of the trim on the edges, I'll have to get some of that when it's done.

Here's how mine looks at the moment...

sdc12504.jpg

Next weekend i'm going to get some trim for the edges and countersink all the screws.

So far the wife approves. The wood was $45 at Home Depot...it's "Red Oak". May take a stain to it at some point. I'll have to build a second one later this spring...as I only got A-M into this one.

Heres what I have so far! I'm really happy with what I've accomplished here. First wood-building project I've ever undertaken. I just need to finish the interior and seal everything up with polyurethane and I'll be complete.

I'm trying to think of what I can do for dividers now..

photo.jpg

Patch, that looks really great, just one edge strip to go. Bet you are not too upset about the $50 'accident' now :).

I'm sure you realize you will want to be sure to sand that glue off the inner right panel before you stain or poly.

Last edited:
I actually like the cheepo stick and board racks that you can get for CD's. The 'spines' are wide enough to read and the plastic case protects it from damage. I think a bin style storage for CD's would just make them harder to sort through.

I have a lot of burns w/o spine labels, so I need to look at the discs, which is why the face forward arrangement looks sweet.

Patch, that looks really great, just one edge strip to go. Bet you are not too upset about the $50 'accident' now :).

I'm sure you realize you will want to be sure to sand that glue off the inner right panel before you stain or poly.

You betcha! I haven't even sanded the interior yet. The photo doesn't do the unit justice. I will make sure to snap a few pics with a decent camera, when finished!

The girlfriend LOVES the bin, btw(shes almost as big of a vinyl nut as I am) :)

Heres what I have so far! I'm really happy with what I've accomplished here. First wood-building project I've ever undertaken. I just need to finish the interior and seal everything up with polyurethane and I'll be complete.

I'm trying to think of what I can do for dividers now..

That looks great. Fits nicely with the video game :) Did you use a veneer on the edges?

Osrb

That is a great looking record stand. I've been looking for something like this as my metal wire stand is full to the MAX.
Great idea, great site, great forum members.

Finally built one!

Thanks to the OPs of this thread:thmbsp: Built this with a circular saw & a brad gun in about 3 hours.Decided it looked good unfinished so in it came...

Attachments

• who knows 071.jpg
    who knows 071.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,492
  • who knows 073.jpg
    who knows 073.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,398
My thanks as well. I have cranked out two, need a bunch more, but have it down now after two, so these next 5 or so should fly. I decided to not cut my corners, I felt I wanted the additional protection to the LP's sides, and I left it upcapped, a bit raw, but stained and two coats of minwax poly. I also used a Maple/Birch 3/4 inch ply, as was someone else's choice earlier in this thread. Not cheap at about $48 at my local Lowe's, but they made the cuts, and I only needed minor cuts with the jigsaw. I am pretty new to building anything like this(at age 43), and overall I am beyond thrilled with the simplicity and awesomeness!

When my wall is complete with the 7 or so units built I will finally have a manageable situation .

Attachments

• DSC05480.jpg
    DSC05480.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC05481.jpg
    DSC05481.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,232
Very Cool to both of you. I'm still waiting on the weather around here to build mine. And now it looks like I may be moving this summer so I may have to hold off until after. Keep the photos coming. :)

Nice job all! I'm in process myself of building a similar bin but it's cut a little different to fit inside a dual sliding door closet, about 21 inch deep and had to keep it under 40" tall. Casters included. Hope to post some pics soon. Probly wont stain it yet. Anyone have a thought on what might be a good "liner" material for the bottom where the albums sit? Not sure i need any but i want to avoid the sliding forward action when the depth isn't filled.

Just Finished Mine!

I sawed it by hand, with a manual saw. Stained with a brush and spray finished it. Lost a few brain cells since I don't have a good mask anymore, so now I am probably not going to get us into the next galaxy, but I will have a nice place to put some of my records :smoke:

*EDIT* Oh, and thanks very much for the plans! Also, for those that are interested, I used black cabinet screws to build this. They blend in nicely with the dark stain...

Attachments

• record bin front.jpg
    record bin front.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,413
  • record bin side.jpg
    record bin side.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,175
Last edited:
Awesome. I'm trying to get to a point where I have a few free hours to do the work. :) I'm thinking it will be mid June or early July. Need to work on an RCM too. Time to do a little research. I'm hoping to build a VPI 16.5 type cleaner for under $200.

I sure am happy I found this! I was looking for something cheap on craigslist and for $50.00 or less I can have this!?! Thanks for posting this. Great idea!

SB

Back
Top Bottom