IS it possible to have an old amp re chromed?

Strip them down to base metal and find an auto chrome shop (they will probably do the best job). If you are trying to re-chrome plastic it probably isn't worth the effort.

Support your local Biker! If you have any Harley shops, they will know the best chrome shop around!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say two amp chassis, about 15" x 11" is gonna run you $300each for chrome!

yes ive had my radiocraftsman monos rechromed. I cant reccomend the person who did it as he had it for about a year. but i also hear that that bike shops are a valid way to go.

nyindallas, I arrived at that figure because a place here wants $100+ for a set of handlebars.... maybe chrome is cheaper where you are. As an option, theres always powdercoating(many different colours) which looks good too!

I have been building custom Harleys for 30 years and I can tell you that ANY old metal can be rechromed. I would suggest you contact Brown Plating (see link) and tell them what you have. Tell them that you want "Pickel dip" then "triple chrome" and you will be blown away by the finish. Cheers.

http://www.brownsplating.com/

I don't think chroming will be that expensive, since an amp frame shouldn't have a lot of weird geometries. That is what usually drives up the cost, especially if multiple dips are required to cover everything.

An inexpensive backup that can look nice if done right is high temperature aluminum paint. With good prep and a good primer coat these can look very shiny, and you can find the paints in most hardware stores. Enamels are another way to go In either option you can do a high temp treatment before rebuilding the frame.

The paint option sounds good. I would be afraid of doing it since this piece is sentimental. I should have mentioned I live in Dallas and Tyler Texas.

If the chassis is chromed already, the hard part is done. A lot of the cost of chroming is the multible dips with buffing afterwards. The pickel dip just removes the old chrome. Brown plating specializes in mail order business. You could do a lot of differnt coatings, but nothing beats triple chrome. Cheers.

I just had some old boat parts rechromed. Pretty pricy!

My advise would be to carefully shoot them with B. B, Q Black paint or go with the powder coat. FWIW.

Try emailing Brad at Performance coatings. I had the after market intake for my Mustang done with their product called Cermachrome. Price was around 250 a few years ago. They have a price list. I will let Brad give you a quote but take the measurements of each chassis and send them to him for a quote or call him on the phone like I did for my quote. He charges around 70 for each big block valve cover. See if he can give you a deal or not. To see what it looks like go to their photos section and at the end is a rice bike that had the exhaust done. To me it looks as nice as real chrome. As a ceramic coating it dissipates heat real good too. :) I have a new under the hood fire wall to side fenders chassis brace I want him to coat for me right now so I will call him for myself this week. John

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

I'd try out Hammertone types of paint; very easy to get great results with this type of paint, AND it has the added bonus of having that vintage look. I don't know about Brown Plating, but chrome isn't cheap anywhere and if it is, it ain't gonna be good! With paint good results are had when you take your time, prep & prime, and wait for the right weather to spray. 70-80 degrees with low humidity. Follow the freakin directions, but it is safe to say with hammertone paints you can go a little heavier, looks better and it hides your lack of experience very well. Give spray paint 3-5 days at least to cure, or you will have impressions in your paint, then out with jasco and start all over. It's happened to me from being impatient. Powder coating is great and more affordable. I had 2 long chassis done for $80, took forever though.

I second the Harley or custom shop referral. Don't look for the big storefront either. Find the little guy working out of a basement or falling down building. He'll probably have a couple of references from cheap to top shelf for chroming. You could also find a regional car/bike forum to get referrals from. We're lucky as there are quite a few chrome shops in New England but prices do run all over the map. You absolutely have to shop around for yourself wherever you are located.

Brush-on electroplating???

What about the brush-on electroplating stuff they sell at AES? You hook the brush up to a low voltage power supply, brush on a liquid solution containing the dissolved metal, and wipe off the reside, leaving a freshly electroplated surface - supposedly). Anyone have any good results with that? I'm thinking of using it on the trim plate of my Sherwood S2000 tuner, where some of the thin brass electroplating has worn off. I imagine it wouldn't be good for large parts, but what about small touch-ups? Sounds too good to be true, though...

Back
Top Bottom