$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

I switched to Volumio and I no longer have the problem... I have no idea if it is related but it seems the DAC works fine.

Not directly related, but I tried to get Daphile going on a vintage PC and it had major issues with UAC2 USB devices. Volumio works like a champ, not a single hiccup. SQ is very good, same if not better than JRiver MC. Especially true for Spotify via librespot.

I've now spent several months listening to the Topping D30 through the very revealing SET powered Lowthers (shown below). During this time I've swapped my Schiit Modi MB in and out of the system in order to compare the two. Without going into a lengthy explanation I can say that I prefer the D30 over the Schiit. Had I known just how good the D30 was I would not have bought the Modi which cost $150 more. If you're on the fence with these two it's an easy choice.

There are a couple of different D30 boards out there and I've only heard the one from massdrop which I know is legit.

PA020012 2.jpg

I ordered mine from Amazon 2 weeks ago today and it arrived 2 days later due to the Monday holiday. It came in a Topping box and I have no reason to believe it is not legit. I doubt I'll open it up while under warranty to find out. Other than a small hiccup with the drivers for my Windows 8.1 desktop, (my pc didn't have winrar software to unzip the driver) it is performing flawlessly. I am enjoying the refinement of the bottom end. I appreciate all who contributed to this and other threads and saved some coin for myself and others. I wasn't prepared for the amount of gain the D30 adds, but I'm experimenting with volume positions between my power units and the D30.

I've now spent several months listening to the Topping D30 through the very revealing SET powered Lowthers (shown below). During this time I've swapped my Schiit Modi MB in and out of the system in order to compare the two. Without going into a lengthy explanation I can say that I prefer the D30 over the Schiit...

How about a short explanation?

How about a short explanation?

I have two separate OB systems and the speakers are shown in my avatar. The H-frames now feature 12" Zenith Alnico's instead of the Tang Bands as well as different tweeters. I've often had difficulty deciding which system I prefer and few days go by that I don't listen to both. For weeks now I've been swapping the Topping and Schiit between the two system and listening intently while making mental notes. I use the same streaming source and my preference is always with the system where the Topping is playing.

The Topping uses the same Cirus CS4398 as my Marantz SA8004 which costs ten times it's price. I can't say the chip makes a difference but I do believe the Topping like the Marantz is more detailed than the Modi but without sounding clinical. The Modi reminds me of that warm sound that I get from my Rotel 855 which uses the TDA 1541.The Topping has little to no coloration and it's soundstage seems deeper. Regardless of the system the music is streamed through the D30 sounds livelier. I can see why folks like the Modi MB as it seems very smooth and a bit more laid back than the D30.

Thanks. I find it interesting some consider the Modi MB laid back as that wasn't my experience, I found it sounding pretty aggressive compared to other DACs I heard. I recently acquired a vintage Parasound D/AC-1000 and it reminds me of that Modi MB sound, but it is smoother and more dynamic.

Thanks. I find it interesting some consider the Modi MB laid back as that wasn't my experience, I found it sounding pretty aggressive compared to other DACs I heard. I recently acquired a vintage Parasound D/AC-1000 and it reminds me of that Modi MB sound, but it is smoother and more dynamic.

Probably system dependent

So from what I'm reading, it sounds like there are two versions of the DAC chip in the D30, that there was a revision at some point. I wonder which is better (and how to tell which one I'll get)

Any recommendation for a 3M cable USB A to USB B? $50 to $100 range?

Check out the Aucharm branded USB cables on eBay. Fantastic for the money.

I've built up a collection of DAC's in the last few years (Gustard DAC-X12, Xiang Shen DAC-01A, Starting Point Systems DAC3, S.M.S.L M8, S.M.S.L M3, S.M.S.L SD793-II, S.M.S.L SD1955+ Sanskrit Gen 2, S.M.S.L AD18 (DAC+amp), S.M.S.L Q5 Pro (DAC+amp), xDuoo TA-01 (DAC+headphone amp).

I've always considered the M8 to come incredibly close to my Gustard DAC-X12 though the Gustard has the edge in refinement and is more natural sounding overall. As I understand it the D30 edges out the M8 for fatigue free listening, so one hell of a bsrgain.

The Starting Point Systems DAC3 is my most recent acquisition and my very first multibit DAC based around the 90's vintage Philips TDA1543 chip. I recieved it yesterday and only bought it out of curiosity not really expecting it to keep up with the M8 or DAC-X12..... Funnily enough it blew everything I've ever heard out of the water on my computer system (Aucharm USB cable, S.M.S.L SA50 amp, Western Electric 11ga tinned copper speaker wire, Polk TSI100 bookshelves + Wharfedale SW150 sub). It created the largest, most 3D sound stage I've ever heard. All the detail was there though portrayed in such a natural, smooth and organic fashion. I'm still gobsmacked by it. Interestingly when I used it into my xDuoo TA-01 headphone amp the magic was lost. So far this is the most natural, analog sounding DAC I've heard.

I've a feeling that the DAC may suit different systems to different degrees and will probably favour slightly bright to edgy systems as opposed to those that are already very smooth and revealing so I'll have to try it on all 3 of my systems.

I'm going to have to wait until after my upcoming holidays to do this though. If it's blows away my other DAC's in the other two systems I may need to buy more and sell the other DAC's.

Having said all that, I still find the S.M.S.L Sanskrit best for TV and movies having the greatest impact and making speech easier to understand. That was my first DAC. :)

The DAC3 is a keeper, no doubt. Being NOS filterless it lacks some precision and energy in high frequencies with redbook but when paired with brighter equipment it is not as noticeable. If you listen to redbook material and use JRiver/Foobar2000 or any other player that can upsample try to resample to 88.2 or 96kHz, it should bring more sparkle to the presentation.

The DAC3 is a keeper, no doubt. Being NOS filterless it lacks some precision and energy in high frequencies with redbook but when paired with brighter equipment it is not as noticeable. If you listen to redbook material and use JRiver/Foobar2000 or any other player that can upsample try to resample to 88.2 or 96kHz, it should bring more sparkle to the presentation.

The DAC3 ( from the French guy on eBay I believe ) interests me as I could use it with one of my Astron 12V linear regulated power supplies. The linears take my cheapo class D amps to another level.

The DAC3 ( from the French guy on eBay I believe ) interests me as I could use it with one of my Astron 12V linear regulated power supplies. The linears take my cheapo class D amps to another level.

Yes, that's the one. Blows away everything I've heard before it. I suspect a fantastic match for two of my 3 systems. More investigation needed.

The DAC3 is presumably battery-buffered, so there may be limited gains from a LPSU.

Yes, it has two NiMh 9v batteries.... I'm wondering if there would be any benefit changing the batteries for LiIon

Since this thread is focused on the D30 one thing I haven't said much about is how nice looking the D30 is. It's almost twice the size of the diminutive Modi and looks far more expensive. The Modi case reminds me of those cable descramblers from the early 90's. A major issue for me with rack mounting the Modi is it's power switch is on the back whereas the D30 is on the front. Unlike some others I don't care to leave my gear powered up 24/7. The Modi has three fairly bright white lights which scan until it finds the correct input while the D30 has a subtle blue light when powered on. The D30 exudes class with it's thick brushed aluminum face plate.

Topping-D30.jpg

I love that it has a three way input selector switch. I've a hatred of the toggle buttons you have to repeatedly press to cycle through the inputs on most DAC's. A 3 way switch, or a rotary switch as found on the Xiang Shen DAC-01A is far far nicer to use and does away with the necessity of a screen.

I just bought one today from a local seller here in Taiwan and I had to pay $3860 NT which equal to $132 US dollars. I am getting a loud pop every time I turn in on, anyone else has this problem? Also on another laptop and system, I can only get the right side working, is my driver doing that?

Back
Top Bottom