Deep Listening: Why Audio Quality Matters

HTML:
Originally Posted by elwood127  
Sorry man, 2hrs 30 minutes is to much. Maybe you could give us the gist of it.

The gist of it is that everyone is so impatient and busy these days, that no one has time to listen to an entire performance any more. They just want to be fed synopses.

too funny

All I can say is: differences can be made equal with proper equalization. True, if it is never there you cannot retrieve it, but it seems to me (with the format debate anyway) that if the listener had access to an equalizer and then made it "equal" to whatever format they preferred... would probably end the format debate right there.

I am saddened that SACD died. I wish it had survived to include recordings of ALL works but it didn't.

My interest in vinyl is renewed. Tough to decide whether to get a new DAC (that upsamples) or a vinyl system. In a perfect world I would want both. In time, I will have it.

But a marvelous discussion and well worth the time. My intellectual hunger has been satisfied for now....

I was sent this by Michael Fremer when it came out....it is quite good, I recommend everyone that enjoys good sound to watch this. It is a bit long and drawn out, tho.

The audible difference in LP vs CD program material was apparent to me even through the video that I have downloaded from the original website.
what it the link to the download?

All I can say is: differences can be made equal with proper equalization.

Radical...

You're saying the difference in a poor recording and a really good one can be made up for by using some EQ during playback?

And/or are you saying you can make a CD sound like and LP?

I've never heard anyone present this theory.

You know, you're not too far off there Arkay.

It wasn't meant to be too far off (or on!) ...it was a joke, based on a previous post.

HTML:
Originally Posted by elwood127  
Sorry man, 2hrs 30 minutes is to much. Maybe you could give us the gist of it.

The gist of it is that everyone is so impatient and busy these days, that no one has time to listen to an entire performance any more. They just want to be fed synopses.

too funny

Ah, someone got the joke! :yes: :thmbsp:

All I can say is: differences can be made equal with proper equalization. True, if it is never there you cannot retrieve it, but it seems to me (with the format debate anyway) that if the listener had access to an equalizer and then made it "equal" to whatever format they preferred... would probably end the format debate right there.

I am saddened that SACD died. I wish it had survived to include recordings of ALL works but it didn't.

My interest in vinyl is renewed. Tough to decide whether to get a new DAC (that upsamples) or a vinyl system. In a perfect world I would want both. In time, I will have it.

But a marvelous discussion and well worth the time. My intellectual hunger has been satisfied for now....

I find it hard to believe that an equalizer can make different formats "equal". There is more to sound than just the relative volumes of different frequencies. An equalizer can help compensate for some room and gear peculiarities, but it can't make a poorly-made CD sound like an SACD. :no:

DO get both systems, at least over time. There are things worth hearing that are only available in digital or in analog formats, so it's worth having both.

Does anyone know if there is a podcast of this?

I watched about 15 minutes at lunch, but had to run back to the office. I have a 900 mile roundtrip drive starting tomorrow and would love to listen to the session while on the road.

Thanks!

what it the link to the download?

There used to be a download link on the site...I just checked the site, and it is no longer there. They probably were encountering bandwidth issues from all the downloads.

I have it on my hard drive somewhere.....if you'd like, I'll up it to megaupload.

Radical...

You're saying the difference in a poor recording and a really good one can be made up for by using some EQ during playback?

And/or are you saying you can make a CD sound like and LP?

I've never heard anyone present this theory.

Stereo Review, January 1996 Issue: article by E. Brad Meyer. "The Romance of the Record". In his A/B test he equalized the CD to the LP standard and the LP to the CD. He did spectrum analysis on both assuming the other to be the reference. By using an EQ he was able to get the CD to sound like the LP or the LP to sound like the CD.

I am not saying if it is missing you cannot restore it but in relation to the sound of the MEDIUMS themselves this article and this discussion for me clearly show that taste preferences for either medium can be attenuated to reflect the other with careful EQ use.

I would HEARTEDLY recommend finding the article in an old issue. It is WELL WORTH the read and seems even more poignant today than when it was written in 1996.

Stereo Review, January 1996 Issue: article by E. Brad Meyer. "The Romance of the Record". In his A/B test he equalized the CD to the LP standard and the LP to the CD. He did spectrum analysis on both assuming the other to be the reference. By using an EQ he was able to get the CD to sound like the LP or the LP to sound like the CD.

I am not saying if it is missing you cannot restore it but in relation to the sound of the MEDIUMS themselves this article and this discussion for me clearly show that taste preferences for either medium can be attenuated to reflect the other with careful EQ use.

I would HEARTEDLY recommend finding the article in an old issue. It is WELL WORTH the read and seems even more poignant today than when it was written in 1996.

I think I have that article stashed away somewhere. I was impressed with it when I read it, to the point that I archived it. Now to find the box/folder that it's in...

Back
Top Bottom